India has since long time referred to as the land of spices. The wide variety of spices can surprise you with its taste and health utilities. In fact, we might not even know them all, there are a few such indigenous spices too. They are exotic and outstanding. However, beyond the overwhelming goodness, a few of them can be detrimental for your health. A few spices can backfire at your health. So, you must know them well before using them. Do you know 10 serious side effects of turmeric? It might sound weird but even ‘too much of goodness can be bad.’
Indian Spices And Their Healing Effects
1Spices entice you with its aroma and when used in cooking it takes the taste another sphere. In fact, we cannot imagine cooking without any of the Indian spices. They are an integral part of our lives and cooking. Not just that, you Indian spices for their healing effects too. Almost all of them have great healing properties. Let’s take a look at some of the spices that are widely used for their health benefits.
- Cumin: Almost every dish cooked in Indian households has a spoonful or two of cumin. It could powder cumin or whole cumin. A pinch of cumin alters the taste of any food. It’s just not great for your taste buds but even for your health. It is a good source for supplying iron and manganese to your body. Thus it enables your body to absorb calcium and balance blood pressure. Cumin also provides laxative to your body that enables you to fight piles, it also aids digestion. Besides these, it can reduce the chances of anaemia and control common cold.
- Cloves: Cloves have medicinal properties, particularly, for treating tooth issues. This is why you will find cloves as a common ingredient in most of the kinds of toothpaste. Cloves are loaded with anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Interestingly, it can bring you relief from the uneasiness from overeating or drinking. Cloves can bring you instant relief if you have an upset digestive tract, suffering from indigestion, loose motion or having a vomiting tendency.
- Black cardamom: The spice that makes you fall in love with biryani can treat a number of your health issues too. The black cardamom is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties. It is known to reduce digestive issues, flatulence, throat problems, gum infection and even treat chest congestion. Black cardamom also reduces muscle spasms and hence often used for asthmatics and treat other respiratory issues.
- Cinnamon: It pleases you with its look, charms you with its taste and impresses you with its health benefits. The woody spice is popular for healing diabetes and the body’s insulin resistance capabilities. Besides these, it treats common ailments like indigestion, diarrhoea, improper blood circulation, anxiety and tension during periods.
- Saffron: Saffron is exotic and royal. It’s the inherent properties of saffron that makes it so. The tiny stigma of the flower is loaded with priceless health benefits. It has generous antioxidants, anti-depressant and anti-inflammatory properties. It improves memory, treats depression and vision issues too.
- Black pepper: Black pepper was once used for bartering. It was considered as black gold – it was that precious until currencies bloomed. You need to sprinkle a pinch of black pepper on any pale dish to create an explosion of flavours. It is a benevolent spice that can produce hydrochloric acid in your stomach and help you to digest. It commonly used for treating digestive issues, constipation and flatulence. However, experts suggest you use this spice in moderation.
Also Read: 5 Life Saving Skills For Apocalypse Survival
When Good Spice And Herb Turns Toxic
Indian spices and herbs are known for their health benefits across the world. However, not all and not always do they heal you. Even the best of spices and herbs can harm your body if you are using it indiscriminately and without proper guidance. It is not always that the spice or herb that’s harmful but the quantity that you use can be toxic. Let’s know, how and when these friendly spices can and herbs can turn toxic.
- Mind your quantity: One of the common causes that turn a friend spice or herb hostile, for your body, is the used quantity. Anything that you used more than you require harms your body. It can be one of the most health-friendly spices like turmeric. But when you use it more than required you will experience serious side effects of turmeric. The same goes for black pepper, nutmeg, cumin and other spices.
- Check your body conditions: Often utility of spices depends on your body conditions. Few people are allergic to certain spices; if you serve those spices to them it can turn lethal for them. Similar, your body might not be suitable for certain spice and herbs. Your digestive system might not respond well to turmeric or black pepper. So if you take turmeric then you will face serious side effects of turmeric and black pepper.
It would be wise to know one’s body condition before using spices in their food. Also, different individuals may react differently to a certain spice or herb. It is primarily because of their biological configurations. So, you can try with a very small quantity and if you see any unwanted reactions, you must stop it there.
- Be mindful about the combination: If you have seen any unfriendly reaction to spices and herbs, it could be because of a wrong match. Certain spices do not go well with each other. The same holds true for herbs. So you need to be very careful while using one spice or herb with another one.
Usually, when an experienced person is cooking then he or she might not combine them wrongly. Lack of proper knowledge and experience often results in wrong combination and hazardous cooking. The dish might turn delicious but the content could affect your health. Minimally, you can suffer from digestive ailments or stomach issues or cause serious health consequences. So, make sure you or anyone who is cooking has a good knowledge of the herbs and spices.
10 Serious Side Effects Of Turmeric
Usually, turmeric is believed to be a super spice because of its multiple utilities. It sure has a lot of benefits but it can cause a few side effects too. If you did not hear about the 10 serious side effects of turmeric then this may surprise you. However, it’s true.
May trigger an allergic reaction
Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties but an individual different from another. Thus, their body and response systems too differ from one another. Research has found some individuals are allergic to certain compounds present in turmeric. These can cause outbreaks, rashes and even shortness of breath. Such allergic reactions are usually caused by ingestion and skin contact. It would be wise to use it with caution because serious side effects of turmeric are a fact.
May suffer from diarrhoea and nausea
As said before, everything should be consumed in balance. Turmeric is no exception in that. There is an active compound in turmeric called curcumin which is slightly notorious. It disturbs the gastrointestinal tract. So, when you take more turmeric than your body can resist then it causes diarrhoea and nausea.
Creates risk of kidney stones
Oxalates is a common compound found in turmeric which solidifies calcium and forms calcium oxalates. It’s insoluble in nature and a major cause for kidney stones.
Can cause iron deficiency
Too much of turmeric in your body may reduce its capability of absorbing iron. This is particularly problematic for people already suffering from iron deficiency. So, you must ensure that you consume just the right amount of turmeric and never beyond that.
May upset stomach
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties but too much of it can instead produce heat inside your body. It can lead to stomach inflammation and cause unwanted cramps and abdominal pain.
May cause unwantedly excessive bleeding
Turmeric has a few bad reputations like it is known for slowing down blood clotting. As a result, if you bet bruised then you may bleed more. This is particularly a risk for those who are already suffering from bleeding disorders.
Reduces blood pressure
Turmeric reduces blood pressure but you don’t know how exactly it works and what is the ideal amount for it. The pressure may fall below normal and that would never be good for you. So, you must not take turmeric for reducing blood pressure. Take medicine instead.
Risky for patients taking blood-thinning medication
We have said before that turmeric contains curcumin. It slows down blood platelet functioning. Therefore, if anyone who is already taking blood-thinning medicine also consumes turmeric then it can badly backfire. It is one of the most serious side effects of turmeric and you must avoid it.
May cause infertility
This may surprise you but turmeric may cause infertility in men. Turmeric supplements are notorious and interfere with the testosterone in men and slow down sperm movement. Thus, it leads to infertility in men.
Might not be good for expecting mothers
There is no clear evidence or research to back this claim. However, experts say that active compounds from turmeric may pass through breast milk. This is why health experts suggest expecting and breast-feeding mothers to avoid turmeric supplements. However, it is safe to consumer turmeric as a spice in food in a limited amount.
We are what we eat. The power to nourish and heal lies in the food that we eat. So, we must take a controlled amount of turmeric to avoid the 10 serious side effects of turmeric. Not just turmeric but any spice herb.