Plant based diet has become a lot popular over the past few years. Let us see why is that so. Over the years we have learned to love ourselves. We are a hard-earned and refined version of our old self. Health takes the center stage in whatever we do – both physical and emotional, and it is directly influenced by what we feed our body with. Food is the ultimate problem solver and guide to a healthy body and mind.
Speaking of food, plant-based diet is the epitome of healthy eating.
Food nourishes your body cells, supplies you energy and decides the quality of your life too. Experts around the world have collected evidence from research outputs, observations of life cases and others that suggest that a plant-based diet serves is the best possible food for a healthy life and fine living.
Idea Behind Plant-based Diet?
When we say plant-based food we speak about food from plants they quite different from a vegetarian diet. The latter one includes milk products obtained from animal milk. A plant-based diet does not include animal products. Thus, a plant-based diet consists of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, beans and everything directly obtained from plants.
Often there is a food myth that animal meat, eggs and other dairy products are the best sources of protein. They are some of the most common and popular sources of protein but never the best or only means to feed proteins to your body.
How Does A Plate With Wholesome Plant-based Food Looks Like?
There will be a plethora of colours – fresh and juicy tomatoes, spinach, kale, carrots, beans, capsicum, radish, cabbage, lettuce, onion, chillies, lemon, bell peppers and every fruits and vegetable that you can think of.
Nutritionists and health experts around the world suggest eating all shades of nutrients for a balanced and healthy diet. Besides, fresh and naturally colourful food influences our psyche too. Visually it’s a treat for your visual sense and brings in a sense of contentment from eating. Such positivity inducing feel-good factor helps in better digesting and thus nourishes your body well.
Plant-based Diet Is The New Religion For Millennials
We have become more conscious about health and wellness than we were a few years ago. Can you disagree with this?
As we cut through uncertainties and live through the weirdest of challenges, we have learnt to value life. Our body is one of the most important assets which needs right nourishment, love and care. This brings us to our eating habits. We might have taken some time but realized how important it is to replace junk foods with healthier choices. Good food tastes even better!
One of the things to have happened to us is the opening of information floodgates. You are much more informed and take an active interest in understanding how your body responds to the food you eat, the activities that you perform and your attitude towards life. You might have observed a surprising relation between clean eating and fine living. This is why we often “We are what we eat.”
A plant-based diet is one of the most assured and easiest ways for sustainable health and fine living. This is invoked interest in millennials and embrace plant-based eating. To explain elaborately, firstly, the idea of clean eating attracted seekers of good health. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, oil and others easy to cook and easier to digest. This gets you halfway to good health.
Secondly, fresh food is a great inspiration. When you eat freshly harvested plant-based food, without processing, the goodness of nature passes to you unadulterated. It inspires you for quality life and living. The choices that you make henceforth will be in line with it.
Thirdly, it provides balanced nourishment to your body. It has found in several studies that eating complex food releases toxins that can harm your body in the long run. Bad cholesterol is one of the most notorious of them all. Besides, often your cells break during the process exposing your body to unhealthy conditions.
Your Guide To Effortlessly Adopt A Plant-based Diet
After elaborating how important and beneficial plant-based food is for your health, you may want to switch to plant-based eating. However, you must take it up gradually. Your body has been accustomed to a different set of eating habit, a sudden change may throw your physical and emotional health off the cliff. So, we would suggest and guide you to transform your eating habits rather than jumping out from one into another. Here are a few ways that you may consider for the transformation.
- Buy fresh fruits and veggies: The more you know and indulge with plant-based food the more you will develop an interest in having it. If you are trying to change your food habit, then it is one best way to prepare your mind and make it more acceptable. Make a list of your essentials and go shopping for these fruits, veggies, nuts, oils or other items.
- Opt for organic foods: Once you try organic food, you can smell the difference. Extensive farming for world food demand has robbed away pure nutrition from the harvested crops. Farmers and industrialists try to fill this gap by using fertilizes. This affects the quality of produce. However, once you become familiar with organic food, you can identify a doctored food and stay away from it.
- Modify your idea of food: We are programmed to follow our habits and ideas that we grew up with. It would be wise to take food as a necessity for survival for not a luxury. In that way, you can reprogramme your mind to consume food that’s best suitable for your body and that keeps you healthy. You can easily give away with eating junk food or similar kinds to please your taste buds and respond to mood swings. You will be in absolute control of your body and health.
- Cook your meal and savour it: When you take charge of your health, you are self-motivated to accomplish difficult tasks. The same applies to your eating habits too. Switching to plant-based food might not come easy to all. So, to make things a little easier you must start cooking your meals, say with lighter ones.
- Experiment with meals at pre-decided intervals: The whole idea is, to begin with, baby-steps and tune into a plant-based eating habit. It really works when you start with eating plant-based meals throughout an entire day. Skip a day or two and then have it again. Gradually you can increase your frequency and completely change to plant-based eating. It will make the transformation effortless and sustainable.
Your Checklist For A Complete Stock Of Plant-based Food In Your Kitchen
After days or even months, as you get comfortable with plant-based food, you are good to call yourself a vegan. Sounds cool?
We’ll need to do some homework for that too.
Once your eating habit and cooking shifts to plant-based meals, you need to replace your cooking ingredients with similar ones. So, how about making a new checklist of your essentials the next time you go to the grocery store?
- Vegetables: Besides the regular ones like spinach, raw papaya, drumsticks, cauliflower, cabbage, bell peppers, broccoli, chillies, carrot, radish, beetroot, kale, and others you can also stock starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and others.
- Fruits: Add all kinds of fruits available in your nearby market. Pick up every fruit that you love to eat but try to avoid having multiple fruits together. Often fruits with contrasting characteristics can disturb your body in unwanted ways.
- Whole grains: To list down whole grain items, you must not miss brown rice, oats, barley, millets, brown rice pasta, quinoa and others that taste so good.
- Nuts and seeds: If you thought you will deprive yourself of exotic foods and dishes then you were entirely wrong. You need to ensure you buy nuts and nutrient-loaded seeds too. So, remember to keep almond, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, naturally made peanut butter and others in your shopping list.
- Legumes: Legumes are again a very good source of protein. Make sure to collect a good amount of lentils, peanuts, chickpeas, peas, peanuts, black beans and others to have a great stock of legumes in your kitchen.
- Plant-based milk: You need to avoid animal products but can enjoy your glass of milk. You can replace animal milk with coconut milk, or almond milk or cashew milk.
- Plant-based protein: You can try plant-based tofu for supplying much-needed protein to your body. You see you have a replacement for all your animal-based products.
- Healthy fats: For healthy fats, you can stock olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, unsweetened coconut and other items.
- Herbs and spices: Turmeric, pepper, basil, rosemary, curry powder, coriander, mustard, cumin and salt are some of the must-have spices and herbs in your kitchen.
- Beverages: No kitchen is complete without beverages. So, get your tea and coffee too.
The quality of your food decides the quality of your life. It is a realization that has hit millennials and made them custodians of their good health and fine living. One of the secrets to good health is plant-based eating. Do tell us how you transformed your eating habit and what impact did it have on your life.