There is no love greater than the love for food. And when it comes to tasty dishes, everyone is excited to taste them. So, here in this article, you will get to know about a very popular Chinese dish. A delicious dish is something everyone wants to get served in their breakfast or dinner. Do you know about egg foo young? If you are above 60, you may know, but if not, you must know about this superb Chinese dish. It is an egg-based item with proteins and vegetables. Please go through the article to learn about the Egg foo young recipe, its nutritional facts and history.
Table of Contents
What is Egg Foo Young?
Egg foo young, which is also called egg foo yung or sometimes egg fu yung, is a delicious dish that originated in Chinese & British American restaurants. You can compare this dish to a pancake omelette. This dish is prepared with eggs until turned brown combined with different proteins & vegetables. Egg foo young recipe is a perfect one to enjoy with your family. You can use all your favourite vegetables in it. Moreover, you can serve it with rice to make it a full course meal.
Egg Foo Young is described as a Chinese omelette or a pancake. There is no need to fold eggs as an omelette. Further, it does not need any flour to prepare it. While cooking the egg mixture, you can sprinkle your favourite veggies. The egg foo young recipe is often incomplete with a sweet and sour brown sauce. Moreover, you can also add different types of meat and seafood to it.
Egg Foo Young Recipe- History
Egg foo young is a classic Cantonese-American dish that gained decades of popularity across all over the U.S. in every Chinese restaurant from early 1900 till 1970. The term omelette came out in the 16th century. Along with this, people also enjoyed pancakes filled with veggies and meat in the past times. Egg foo young history starts when gold discovered in 1849, California. Most of the American miners were attracted to California. Not only American miners but also thousands of Chinese miners got drawn and went there. But the Americans did not welcome Chinese migrants and started imposing heavy taxes on Chinese miners. For this reason, they began their careers in the kitchen and other services. They began preparing recipes that were inexpensive, quick and easy to prepare.
Therefore, after this egg foo young recipe got its popularity. This recipe came from a Shanghai recipe known as Fu Young Egg slices. This dish is made with beaten eggs and diced ham. Egg foo young can be called a descendent of Foo young egg slices. U.S. population regarded this dish till World War II. And the popularity of this dish exists even now. You can enjoy this dish by making it at your home with the simple steps mentioned below in this article.
Egg Foo Young Recipe- Simple and easy steps
Ingredients you need:
- 1/2 cup chicken porridge (low-sodium)
- 1 soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 10 drops of sesame oil
- Black or white pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 tsp water
For Egg Foo Young:
- 5 large eggs
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tsp dry sherry
- 1 tsp rock salt or according to taste
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 Chinese sliced sausages
- 6 sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green gram sprouts
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Chinese cabbage
Serving ingredients :
- 3 sliced green onions(optional)
- Steamed rice
How to make it?
You can perform these steps in three slots so that everything doesn’t get mixed up.
Making the Sauce
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Boil the chicken porridge on medium heat.
- Put soya sauce, dry sherry, olive oil, and black pepper according to your taste.
- Further, turn up the heat and start adding cornstarch already dissolved in water; stir the stuff.
- It will begin to thicken.
- Now keep the sauce warm on meagre heat while preparing the egg foo young omelette.
Making Egg Foo Yung Omelette
Gather all the ingredients.
- Lightly beat the eggs white in a medium bowl with pepper, dry sherry and salt. Reserve it
- Heat one tbsp of olive oil in frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and the three sausages.
- Stir everything in the pan for 2 minutes and then remove it from the pan with the help of a spoon. Reserve it.
- Add 1 more tbsp of oil and stir-fry the sliced mushrooms till they turn brown. Reserve it.
- Remove from the pan.
- Add the cooked sausages, onions, and mushrooms into the egg mixture along with green gram sprouts and the Chinese cabbage.
- Now, add the remaining tbsp of oil to the pan.
- Add the egg mixture when the oil is hot. Cook until it turns golden brown from the bottom.
- Turn it over carefully and cook the second side until it also turns golden brown.
- Serve it with a warm sauce. Pour the sauce over the top.
- And sprinkle green onions if you want.
- After all, enjoy it with steamed rice.
Egg Foo Young Recipe- Cooking Tips
Egg foo young recipe just need some eggs and some veggies of your choice and some seasonings to make it perfect for breakfast. Also, you can have it as snacks for dinner. It’s not a rocket science to prepare egg foo young at home. You only need to follow some tips to achieve the best results.
- It is important to note; you have to beat the eggs lightly but not so much that bubbles start forming.
- Slice the meat and vegetables thinly for best cooking results.
- To get more flavour out of the veggies, stir the vegetables before adding them to the egg mixture. Make sure that all the veggies are drained.
- While preparing egg foo young, mix the other ingredients with the eggs before cooking. Avoid adding them to the pan.
- Also, keep your eye on the heat, whether it is low, medium or high flame. Your pan should be hot enough so that the mixture of eggs cooks appropriately.
- To emphasize, prepare the sauce first and keep it warm until the egg foo young is cooked.
Additional tips for Egg Foo Young Recipe
You can put any vegetables as per your preference. Moreover, you can also add proteins to this egg foo young recipe. Thus, additional proteins and veggies are provided below:
- Red onions
Whereas, people who only prefer vegetarian food can skip all animal proteins and prepare the gravy using vegetables.
Egg foo young is a Cantonese-American dish developed in the 19th century by the Chinese. With a few changes in the ingredients above, egg foo young could be a healthy dish for people who needs low-fat and low-sodium.
Egg foo young is moderately high in calories as it is made up of eggs and oil. Avoid topping it with the high calories sauces. Consequently, you may gain weight if you have egg foo young with sauce on a regular basis.
Gravy prepared for egg foo young serving is made from different sausages and are further fried in oil. It contains a lot of fat. You can only use vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, peas instead of sausages to decrease fat in the dish.
High amount of sodium
Although you have a low fat and low calories egg foo young, it can have a high amount of sodium. The sauce contains most of the sodium, be it a soya sauce. You can switch to the sauces from different brands that provide low sodium sauces.
Contains lot of Minerals and Vitamins
Despite high-fat, high sodium, the egg foo young recipe consists of high amounts of minerals and vitamins. Furthermore, it comprises vegetables like green gram sprouts, cabbage, carrots etc. Thus it is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, iron, and zinc. As we all know, these nutrients are essential for the human body and help in building immunity. In addition to this, it also help out to build strong teeth and bones.
QnA- Egg Foo Young Recipe
- From where did egg foo young originate?
- How much fat does egg foo young contain?
9.9g of fat
- Which nationality does egg foo young belong?
Egg Foo Young is a Cantonese egg omelette. Egg Foo Young is also spelt as Egg Foo Yung or Egg Fu Yung. It is made by beating eggs, various meats, as well as veggies, are added to it.
- Who made egg foo young for the first time?
Chinese cooks first made egg Foo Young. And also, it fed thousands of American miners as well as Chinese immigrants. The history of egg foo young started when gold was discovered in California in 1849.
- Can I eat egg foo young on a keto diet?
All the dishes made from eggs are best for people who are following a keto diet.
- What do you eat with egg foo young?
You can serve egg foo young with brown sauce or gravy. Also, you can serve this dish with steamed rice to complete the meal.